P3 Activity: Photography

Light 1: Outside
Light 1: Outside
Light 2: Inside
Light 2: Inside
Focus 1: Foreground
Focus 1: Foreground
Focus 2: Background
Focus 2: Background
Composition 1: Thirds
Composition 1: Thirds
Composition 2: Lead Room
Composition 2: Lead Room

I thought that this assignment would be very difficult. It was a little confusing at first to understand how to use the camera correctly and how to use Photoshop. I am still not very confident with my abilities in Photoshop. However, I think that I took pictures that showed the specified qualifications.

With taking the pictures, I tried to change that brightness according to how light it was outside or how dark it was inside. I also tried to not have the sky washed out on my outside shots. On my shot of the Spori building, there was no way that I could get rid of glare on the top of the right side because the sun was shining directly at it. I thought it looked alright anyway. With Photoshop, I tried to up the vibrancy levels on all of the pictures. I tried to steer away from using saturation very much. Overall, I think that I didn’t do too bad of a job for this being my first time.


Project 2 Event Ad

P2 Event Ad Final

Description: A full-bleed, color event ad meant to promote a fundraiser using only Microsoft Word, scanner and Photoshop (strictly to only check pixels and image size).

Process: I first found the image I wanted to use in a National Geographic magazine and immediately knew that I wanted to promote an event that was planning to save animals. I then scanned the image, which was an entire page, and checked the pixels on Photoshop. I then added it to my document, sharpened the image and added a side bar to add text to. I didn’t want to cover up, or crop much of the image because it really is a beautiful photo. I didn’t want to take away from it that much. I added the title, date, time, place and benefactor in the side bar. However, I added the body text on top of the picture, within the empty area created by the trunk, to create some asymmetry and contrast. I believe that if I kept the body text on the side bar with all the other text, it would’ve been too text-heavy on the left side. I made sure that all my text in the side bar is aligned to the right, and I made sure that the body text was aligned with the orange bars within the side bar. I used Microsoft Word, http://pdf2jpg.net/ (PDF converter), Scanner from the Library, and Photoshop (only to check pixels and image size).

Message: The message for this ad is that the African Elephant is going extinct and we need donations to help that not happen. I am trying to create an emotional appeal or connection with my audience with my large title that emphasizes “Save” and the picture of the mother elephant and her baby.

Audience: My audience is anyone over 18. This is a public fundraiser and anyone who can donate (adults) can come and help the cause. So, my audience is a broad one.

Color scheme and color names: I used a complementary color scheme, using blue and orange as my complementary colors. I used the shade fourth from the middle for both the orange and the blue.

Top Thing Learned: I learned some fascinating design elements in Microsoft Word that I had no idea existed.

Title Font Name and Category: Superclarendon Regular & Italicized-Slab Serif (or Modern, it seems to be in the middle)

Copy Font Name and Category: Athelas regular- Slab Serif (or Modern, it seems to be in the middle)

Scanned images used, sources, original sizes, location of scanner used: I scanned this image on October 5, 2015 from the September 2015 issue of National Geographic, found in the David O. McKay Library. The image was originally 14” x 5 1/8”. The final dimensions of the image, after I had scanned it were 1039 x 1650. I scanned this image on the first floor of the Library, in the commons, using the provided scanner.


Project 1 Flier


Description: Black and White flier promoting Vouant Communication’s Graduate Leadership Conference.

Process (Programs, Tools, Skills, FOCUS principles): I first sketched four separate designs for this flier. I then chose the one that my friends, sister, and I liked the most. From there, I started on my draft in Adobe InDesign. I chose to create a type of flow on the left side of the flier with the white space. I created repetition through my use of the two gray boxes appearing on the top and bottom of the flier. I also tried to create a type of unity and repetition through my use of the “stepping rectangles” directly to the left of the picture. You can also find this “stepping” on the bottom of the left side with the logo and date/time/place information directly above it. I also made the first phrase of the body a slightly bigger font and italicized it to make it contrast with the rest of the body, which is generally small, but readable font size. I was provided the logo, text, and picture.

Message: My message for this particular flier is to let my audience know of this conference, what it is about, and the date/time/place of the event.

Audience: Recent college graduates or college seniors.

Top Thing Learned: I think that learning how all the design elements work together (like in FOCUS) was the most important thing that I learned. Learning how to use InDesign was also pretty important, but I feel like learning the design principles has more of a significance. I loved how if I used the principles, everything just seemed so much more visually appealing.

Title Font Name & Category: Bernard MT Condensed-Modern/Slab Serif

Copy Font Name & Category: Helvetica CY-Sans Serif

Links to images used in this project: